Recovering Physically and Financially Following a Brain Injury

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) can forever change the life of the person it happens to, as well as the people who love them. It is not always necessary for an injury to appear life threatening to be traumatic. In many instances damage occurs with very little outward sign of injury at all. It can happen in a number of ways. The most common cause is during a fall, but they also occur during sporting events, vehicle accidents and assaults.

A TBI can lead to memory problems and issues with problem solving. People with this type of injury are frequently unable to control their tempers or manage emotions properly. They may be unable to work or attend school and will face a higher lifelong risk for developing certain conditions like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s or other brain disorders.

Treatment for these injuries can be very expensive, because even after the initial medical expenses are paid, there is often rehabilitation and therapy charges as well. These programs may be required for years following the injury. In addition, severe injury may require the individual to need at-home care or special medical equipment if their mobility is affected.

Head Injury statistics show that over 50,000 people die each year due to a brain injury, and a total of $60 billion is spent treating these injuries. Health insurance and disability coverage can help to recover some of the financial losses, but since so many people lose their entire livelihood and amass huge medical expenses, insurance is rarely able to compensate people adequately.

This is why many people resort to lawsuits to help recover some of their losses. While TBIs may not always be the fault of others, in the instance of auto accidents, work related injuries and those that happened during an athletic competition, negligence may be to blame. Assault victims are also eligible to file this type of lawsuit, but the guilty party may not have an adequate amount of assets to make it worth the effort.

Luckily most injuries are minor and the individual is able to return to their lives after a short period of recovery. In 80 percent of cases seen at an ER, the patient is discharged without admittance to the hospital. For the other 20 percent, the damage can mean a lifetime of recovering.